Granola Bars can be a breakfast or a snack…it depends on how they are made. These bars are a great grab-and-go breakfast, snack after athletic activities, or something to take with you on an airplane flight. I make these each time I fly. I can take them on the plane with Justin’s Almond Butter single serve packages and some apple slices or carrot sticks to ensure I have healthy, gluten free options while I am in transit.
The recipe is simple and can be made many different ways so you will never get bored! Read this and other Gluten Free YogaLean recipes at Healthy Recipe Variations.
2 cups oats
1/2 cup flax seed meal or ground flaxseed
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract or coconut extract or almond extract
3/4 cup honey
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup olive, walnut, or coconut oil
Flavorings: 1/2 cup diced dried fruit (no sulphur dioxide or sugar added is best), mini dark chocolate chips, or chopped nuts
Spray for the 9 x 12 pan (olive oil or coconut oil)
Flavor Profiles to Try:
Vanilla Extract and Dates
Almond Extract and Dried Cherries (and/or Walnuts)
Almond Extract and Dried Figs
Coconut Extract and Dried Apricots
Coconut Extract and Dried Pineapple
Vanilla Extract and Dried Apple
Vanilla Extract, Dark Chocolate, and Walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan with spray olive oil or spray coconut oil
2. In a mixer or a large bowl, combine all the WET ingredients.
3. One at a time add the dry ingredients and incorporate.
4. Transfer the mixture to the greased pan. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-45 minutes depending on your oven. Check after 20 minutes and every 5 minutes thereafter. You are looking for the edges to turn GOLDEN.
5. Let cool before you cut and serve.
HINT: Cooking time for soft and chewy bars is 25-30 minutes for soft and chewy, 30-35 minutes for medium, 35-45 minutes for crunchy.